Starting with Strategy
Starting with Strategy is Session I of Social Media Residency. In addition to completing Social Media Basics for Healthcare Certification, we ask that you think through the reasons why you want to use social media tools.
To be most effective in your application of social media in your health or health care context, you need to start with an understanding of the following:
- Who is your audience?
- What are your goals?
- What are your key messages?
- What challenges are you currently facing?
- What challenges are on the horizon?
Preparing Your Assignment
This session is the first of several opportunities you’ll have to receive expert and peer-to-peer input throughout Social Media Residency. Please arrive prepared to present to your small group:
- The audience you intend to reach and your key messages.
- A brief overview of your current online social networking strategy (if you're currently underway with an active plan).
- Your business or work-related goals: What are you planning to accomplish through your social media initiatives?
- The platforms you're currently using (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc.) as part of your strategy.
- Observations about what’s working, what isn’t, and what you believe are barriers to success.
Format: 5-7 Minute Presentation
You will be presenting the above in a small group of peers at your table. Please prepare a presentation file that covers the elements listed above. You may choose a PowerPoint, a Word document, or another format.
In addition to providing URLs for your key social networking accounts (e.g. Facebook page/profile, Twitter account, Instagram account), consider taking screen shots and including those images in your presentation.
The goal of Social Media Residency is to enable you to think clearly and strategically about how social media tools can help you in your work. To that end, we've developed our Strategic Planning for Social Media Worksheet, as well as our Strategic Planning for Social Media Template. The former is a PDF to stimulate your thinking, while the latter is a Microsoft Word document to guide you and to serve as the framework for your plan. Downloading both documents will help you complete this advance assignment.
We look forward to your participation in Social Media Residency! If you have questions about the assignment, please contact us by email.