How to Use Analytics to Create a Sustainable Content Calendar
In the webinar “4 Steps to Creating a Sustainable Content Calendar” Audrey Laine and I offered a few tips to help health care communications professionals start 2018 with a strong strategy.
Step 1: Review Analytics
We started with analytics because these metrics will help you identify what worked, what didn’t, and where to invest your limited time and budget for the largest impact in the coming year.
What to look for
Here are a few questions to ask when planning content:
- What platform are people using to engage with us?
- How are people engaging with us? Is there a pattern in what type of content users like versus share versus click on? Which is more important to us?
- Who is our audience? We want to know their gender, age, and location to determine what might be relevant to them.
- What device do they use to access our content? If a majority of followers engage on a mobile device, we have to plan content with a mobile-first mindset.
- What type of content garners greater engagement? Do they watch our videos (with or without sound and for how long?)? Do they like our photos but click-through on links?
Where to look for it
If you use a social media management system, you probably already have a suite of analytics tools at your fingertips. If you haven’t set up a dashboard or regular reporting, the customer support team may be willing to arrange a short demo for you. If you do not have a management system, you can access analytics through the native platforms.
- Check the platform directly for Insights functionality. These articles share great ideas to access Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn insights. Watch how to access Facebook Business Manager Insights.
- Use Facebook Messenger conversations to identify common themes.
- Review Google Analytics to identify top search terms within your website and top social media referral sources to your site.
Join us over the next three days as we share more information about how to plan your 2018 content calendar.
Do you have tips and ideas? Share them below!