Your Step-by-Step Guide to Scheduling A Facebook Live
In presentations at the #MCSMN Annual Conference and Residency this week, several people have asked me how to schedule a Facebook Live on Facebook. With this guide, you can schedule Facebook Lives for your Page, so your followers will receive Facebook notifications.
Some important things to note before you schedule:
- You cannot go live with a scheduled video from a mobile device.
- You can only schedule Facebook Live broadcasts up to one week in advance.
1. On your Page (we use Business Manager), click on Publishing Tools.
2. Open Creator Studio.
3. From the "+" icon in the lower right corner, click Go Live.
4. Type your post copy and add a video title. Add tags if you want. Click on Schedule. You can copy your stream key here, but you can also access your stream key later. Your stream key is unique to THIS broadcast. Protect it because if anyone gets it before you go live, they can go live from your Page. You'll paste the stream key into your streaming software, such as OBS.
5. Select the date and time of your broadcast. Upload a custom image. Add an announcement post description (optional). Click on Schedule. Your video is now scheduled to go live automatically as long as you are streaming video at that time. You can change this to Manual Start (see Step 7).
6. Preview your stream. From your Content Library in Creator Studio (see Step 3), click on your scheduled video, Then click on "Admin Only: Edit Your Details."
7. Switch to Manual Start and adjust settings. At any time before your live stream begins, click on Manual Start so that you can press "Start" when you're ready to go live. You have 10 minutes from your scheduled start time before your stream key expires. On this page, you can also edit the scheduled time of your broadcast. Under the Settings tab, you can adjust your live video's settings such as "allow embedding," and turn on Crossposting to other Pages. Under the Interactive tab, you can create polls or trivia questions to ask your audience during your live video.
7. Confirm that you want to switch to Manual Start. Click on OK to close the pop-up.
There you have it! Questions? Drop me a line below or hit me up on Twitter.
Note: This post was edited on 8/20/2019 to provide the most up-to-date guide to scheduling Facebook Lives, due to changes made to the process on Facebook (read: Creator Studio).