#TimelessWisdom on Social Media in Health Care
The social media landscape has changed a lot since we published Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care in 2012:
- Facebook has grown from just under a billion monthly active users to more than 2 billion.
- Images have become essential in all platforms.
- Facebook and Twitter began giving preference to native video uploads to their platforms, as opposed to links to files uploaded to YouTube. Then live streaming (Periscope and Facebook Live) became the hottest trend.
- Mobile and tablet devices have become the main vehicles for social media engagement. In fact, as Mari Smith noted in her MCSMN webinar last week, 40 percent of Facebook users have NEVER accessed the site via desktop or laptop.
- Declining organic reach on mature platforms has made paid promotion on social media necessary.
Helping our Mayo Clinic staff — and health care colleagues everywhere — keep up-to-date on these changes so we can most effectively use social media for health-related purposes is why we have the Mayo Clinic Social Media Network. Through...
- Monthly Webinars, for in-depth exploration of timely topics
- News You Can Use, a quick daily digest of relevant resources curated by Audrey Laine Seymour, communications specialist at our Jacksonville campus
- Discussions (both online and in conference calls) where members can get and give advice
- The Social for Healthcare Certificate from Mayo Clinic and Hootsuite, and
- Live events including Social Media Residency and our Annual Conference
...we provide tools, resources, training and a platform to gather the community of those who want to accelerate effective application of social media in health care.
But as we approach the fifth anniversary of the publication of Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care, we thought it also would be helpful to review some of the principles that haven't changed...and won't change. So over the next several weeks, we'll be posting an excerpt from the book every Friday, starting tomorrow.
I hope you'll find these #FlashbackFriday posts (also tagged #TimelessWisdom) interesting and helpful. If they spark your interest in exploring further, you can get the eBook version of the book FREE (Kindle or PDF). If you'd like to get hard copies to spur discussion among your staff and with your senior leaders, you may purchase copies in bulk from CreateSpace. Enter discount code Z4L7DBSN to save 40 percent off the cover price.