We're pleased to kick off our 2017 Mayo Clinic Social Media Network (MCSMN) webinar series on Jan. 31 with a look at hospital-sponsored online support groups for patients.
We're also making it one of this year's FREE webinars. More details on that in bit.
We have an outstanding lineup of panelists:
- Ed Bennett developed the original Hospital Social Networking List (now hosted on our site as the Health Care Social Media List), which helped advocates for social media show their leaders just how many peers and competitors were getting into Facebook, Twitter and related sites. Ed was one of our original External Advisory Board members and is now an MCSMN Platinum Fellow. He recently started another list, Hospital Sponsored Online Patient Support Groups, to highlight examples of online support groups run by healthcare organizations.
- Janet Gripshover, a nurse practitioner at the University of Maryland, founded one of the first of these hospital-sponsored and facilitated online support groups in 2011.
- Colleen Young is Community Director for Mayo Clinic Connect, the Mayo-sponsored patient community that we also launched in 2011. Before joining our Mayo Clinic team, Colleen had been involved in and led online patient communities for several years.
As Ed says, "Online patient support groups have existed for over 20 years. Patients and caregivers find community, advice, and guidance on email listservs, forums, and Facebook groups. But very few are run by healthcare organizations."
This webinar is your chance to learn from hospitals that have ventured into facilitating online support groups.
MCSMN produces monthly webinars to help members explore ways to use social media more effectively in their work. All of our webinars (regularly $95 each) are included with premium memberships, but we also select three per year to make available at no charge for our free Basic Members. This is one of them.
Here's how you can participate:
- If you haven't yet signed up for your free Basic Membership, create your account.
- Once you have your account and are logged in, go to the registration page for the Jan. 31 webinar and sign up.
We hope you'll join us at 3 p.m. EST on Jan. 31!
Colleen Young, Ed Bennett, Events, Janet Gripshover, Online Support Groups